Welcome to the only Geriatric Education Center in West Virginia. We are located at West Virginia University Charleston at the Health Sciences Center. Our mission is to serve as much of West Virginia as possible with education and resources for the aging population.
West Virginia Geriatric Education Center strives to improve the quality of life for senior resident's statewide. Our desire is to provide relevant and valuable resources and training to caregivers, seniors, families, healthcare professionals, faculty, students, and practitioners to ensure they provide the best geriatric care nationwide
Our goals include:
- improving the training of health professionals in geriatrics
- developing and disseminating curricula relating to the treatment of the health problems of elderly individuals
- supporting the training and retraining of faculty to provide instruction in geriatrics
- supporting continuing education of health professionals who provide geriatric care
- providing students with clinical training in geriatrics in nursing homes, chronic and acute disease hospitals, ambulatory care centers and senior centers
West Virginia’s Geriatric Education Center (WVGEC) is located at WVU - Health Sciences Center, in Charleston WV. We work cooperatively with geriatric stakeholders throughout the state, such as, the Bureau of Senior Services, Alzheimer's Association, WV Medical Institute, Marshall University's Joan C. Edwards Medical School, WV Partnership for Living and others throughout the state.